Wednesday, April 16, 2014

angel made

A few months ago I was on the phone with Ashlee, trying to figure out a way I could help on her blog.  I told her  I wanted to fast and pray about it.  She agreed that she would attend the temple and find her own confirmation.  Within 48 hours I had been roped into something I never dreamed I'd ever do. A personal blog about service and friendship.  First of all, I am unqualified.  I didn't feel like anyone would want to hear anything I had to say.  Then later that day I called another friend for counsel.  I started to explain the idea Ashlee had put out there and she stopped me, "Wait.  I have been meaning to call you all last week.  Is she asking you to do a blog about relationships, about being a friend?  I wanted to call you to tell you that's what you should do."  What the???  Either I had crazy friends or this was the path I was to follow down.  As time went on I started to believe the feelings I had deep inside.  The Lord wanted me to stand, where I could, to lift and inspire with what lifted and inspired me. Service.  That weekend while my sisters and Mom ate a couple of gourmet pizzas I brought up the idea.  My Mom, being the great Mom that she is said, "Of course!  You should do this.  I love reading what you write."  After everyone digested that idea and some pizza the stories started flying.  "There was this one time when Juner was sick… I once decided to give this homeless man… There's this one lady who was trying to buy…"  I was in awe!  Service I never knew had happened, but by listening to others story I was being inspired.  I felt peace wash over me.  We need to learn from others experiences.  So as I embarked on this little journey I felt the peace of the Lord with me.  I try to keep faith when Satan tries to wiggle his way into my thoughts making me doubt myself and this crazy idea.

With that as a back drop I have asked a few people to tell me their experience during the last three years.  This story is written by our dear friend Kim.  She is beyond blessed with amazing gifts.  She is constantly learning a new trade.  She went to church with us and offered to do something we all knew she could do.  I'd never heard the whole story but after reading it I knew this is the one to start with.  Kim was an earthly angel going about the work God put in front of her.  Not only is she full of talent but humble as well.  Thank you Kim for the gifts you share so freely.  



I remember seeing a little blurb on Facebook from Ashlee and something about her husband being gone....that she and her babies will love him forever.
I don't remember the exact wording, I just remember how it made me feel.
I was in shock.
I was devastated.
I didn't know what to do.
It was very early in the morning, I was up with my early rising baby...
I didn't know who to call.
I didn't know Ashlee very well, but I enjoyed being around her and her beautiful kids.
There was just something about her.
She seemed very self-less.
Her kids, her family, were her world.
My heart broke for what had happened.
I knew immediately what I wanted to do.
I wanted to make a blanket for those babies.
And I wanted that blanket to be made from their Daddies clothing.
It is a hard thing to explain how the idea came to me.
Those blankets were going to be made.....whether they were my hands or not.
And I almost didn't do it.
I was almost too afraid to put myself out there.
I was afraid to ask for the clothing at such a delicate and emotional time in Ashlee's life.
I didn't know if, given the whole situation, if Ashlee even wanted a reminder like that around.
I went back and forth......
I asked the opinion of some mutual friends and they all agreed that it would be a wonderful thing to do.
As I dumped the bag full of clothing on my floor, I was overwhelmed.
Overwhelmed because looking at the clothing, I knew I was supposed to make each child a blanket instead of one large one
So I was overwhelmed with that very large task ahead of me....
But also overwhelmed by the amazing angels I felt around me.
Overwhelmed with the spirit I felt.
I had done many quilts before, but I was no expert, that's for sure.
And I had such different fabrics to work with, t-shirt material, thick shorts, button up shirts.
I questioned it in the beginning.
How could I make this work and not just be something she would just end up throwing away.
I decided to back all the t-shirts with an iron-on, making it thicker, and not stretchy.
And I wanted to come up with a unique design....not just the run of the mill t-shirt quilt.
And then I started.
I will never, to this day, be able to explain what happened after I started those quilts.
I was not making those quilts.
Everything just happened.
Everything went so smoothly together.
Everything made sense.
The colors went together so well to make each quilt so special and individual.
Things worked that shouldn't have worked.
I had enough fabric even when I had sworn I had used the last of the matching fabric.
My baby boy......he required much less attention than usual.
My kids played well together as I worked, not fighting as much as usual.
When I went to buy fabric for backing, someone handed me 50% off coupons to use.

I knew I had a specific blanket for each individual child.
I felt like I knew what their little hearts needed.
When I was finished laying out the five blankets, I had several left over, already made, squares.
I am not a very organized person....so this is actually a common thing to happen when I am making something.
I over-make.
But this time it was different.
There were just enough extra squares to fit together a quilt that would include the colors and squares from all the other quilts.
I got a knot in my stomach.
Should I?
Would Ashlee want one too???
I decided it wasn't my job to question.
It was obviously supposed to be made.
I made an extra border to go around so it would be a decent adult size lap quilt.
And before I knew it, 6 quilts were made.
SIX QUILTS!
I did not keep record or how long it took me.
But I would say it was not more than a few days.
It was an amazingly spiritual experience.
I was actually floored by it all.
They were done.
I didn't want to be the one to deliver the blankets to her.
I didn't feel like I should get any praise for it.
Because I didn't do it.
After some prayer (and terrible indigestion), I took them to Ashlee's house.
The couches were full of family members and friends.
I wanted to drop the bag off and run, but they asked me to show them.
It was hard for me.
I wanted badly to tell Ashlee that I was so grateful that she allowed me to do this.
Allowed me to do such a personal thing for her little family.
Allowed me to have such an amazing spiritual experience.
But I am not very good with words.
So I gave her a big hug.
Ashlee just held on.
She hugged me with everything she had.
I knew for sure that this was what I was supposed to do for her.
This was how I could help her.
I am Thankful that I listened to that still small voice, urging me to make these quilts.
I am Thankful for the Angels that surrounded me over those few days to finish up a work that I could have never done alone.
I am most grateful for the courage given to me through prayer.
This experience will be forever in my heart.
Don't ignore it when you feel the need to do something to help someone out.
Even if it is small.
Even if you are afraid to do it.
JUST DO IT!
This is how the lord works.

We are his hands.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet and special story! Who knew that making a blanket would be such a special spiritual experience. What a great service you did for ashlee and her kiddos even if it was the spirit guiding you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing this and sharing your inspiration with everyone!

    ReplyDelete